top of page

School News

St Matthias Sports Bulletin WB 17th October

St Matthias v Smestow

After a disappointing performance last time out, our year 10 Football team were back to winning ways tonight at Smestow.

We started our 4th league of the season brightly with lots of good passing and movement all over the pitch. We should have been 2 goals up before our first goal was scored after 10 minutes by Jashandeep. Our dominance continued but only 1 more goal was converted by Josh during the first half.

Our domination continued in the second half continued but worryingly we failed to score 3,4 clear cut chances to kill the game off. With 6 minutes to go we conceded after a defensive error. This lead to a nervy last few minutes but the boys held off a Smestow comeback to win the game 2-1. Man of the match Asser, a superb performance from start to finish at left back.

So after the first half the season it’s now played 4, won 2, drew 1 and lost 1. With just the final league game against Colton Hills to come in February, the league title is in our hands. We are also still in 2 cup competitions so lots to look forward to in the coming weeks.

St Matthias v Colton Hills

Tonight, our year 8’s hosted Colton Hills in the league. After starting poorly at the start in the last few games we really wanted to start brightly. Sadly, it was déjà vu again! How we did not score from our corners is a mystery to me – 3 or 4 clear chances cleared off the line!

Coming in at half time, we were 3-0 down! One of the worst displays I have seen from this group this season. You can imagine how the half time team talk went! Second half we started poorly again with a bad mistake at the back and the strong Colton hills front three made us pay.

From going the worst I’ve seen us play to magically the best. Jeldi scored a free kick from about 35 yards out which hit the top corner. Heaydian scored (so proud of her) her first goal for the school team – she really is an inspiration! Isaac scored from distance couple minutes later to make it 4-3.

Going into the last minute, we piled on the attack pressing them high and it prevailed. A strong drive forward from Jeldi again, gaining space in the box and he scored to make it 4-4! My heart was going one hundred miles an hour!!!

Unfortunately, after the STM fight and determination to get a result out of the game coming back from 4-0 down to 4-4. Colton forced themselves forward with the ball from kick off and a lucky deflection set up their main player to slot it home in the dying seconds of the match. Colton hills beating us 5-4.

The group were devastated, but it was lovely to see them consolidating each other and hearing them say how proud they were of each other. The group have had a busy two weeks of footy and possibly it was clear they were a tad fatigued. Never mind, we go again when we come back!


bottom of page